15 Rules which every head of the family needs to follow(if he believes in God)?
Making progress in spiritual life can be daunting for people who are so busy in worldly life. Too many responsibilities & duties start taking a toll on the people and they are diverted from their spiritual life and gradually give it up altogether. However, it is not impossible for householders to move towards spiritualism if they are prepared to bring some discipline in their daily life. The monks of Sri Ramkrishna’s mission have given some rules and guidelines which can be immensely beneficial to householders. Persons can voluntarily adopt some or all of these guidelines.
1. Wake up early in the morning a least 1/2 hour before sunrise.
2. After preliminaries and avoiding prior worldly talks, do spiritual practice(puja, japa, prayer, meditation, chanting of hymns) for a predetermined specific time as per the prescribed method.
3. Study regularly inspiring lives of Saints & Bhagwad Gita, Upanishad, Ramakrishna-Vivekananda literature, and similar literature of other religions. Carefully avoid unhealthy literature like newspapers, TV, etc.
4. Eat in moderation, avoid overeating.
5. Restrict personal requirements, discard unnecessary personal items regularly, and avoid consumerism, so as to move towards a simple lifestyle.
6. Practice truthfulness to the best of one’s ability.
7. As far as practicable, do not hurt anyone by thought, word, and deed, and try to make others happy by sweet words and polite conduct.
8. Not to cheat or be cheated & not to bribe or receive bribe.
9. Try to live in the family as the maid servant in a rich man’s house as advised by Sri Ramakrishna.
10. Encourage family members to lead God-centered life of service and renunciation.
11. Serve saintly and holy persons and organizations like Ramakrisha Order and its monks.
12. Render service to poor to the best of our ability, including donation to deserving individuals and organizations.
13. Considering the utmost importance of Brahmacharya and the example of the conjugal relationship of Sri Ramakrishna and Ma Sarada, try to rise above physical relationship to the level of spiritual companionship.
14. Attend relevant spiritual retreat or live in solitude or holy company, at least once a year for 3 days.
15. Participate in regular satsang with like minded persons.